For the record, I'm in favor of not citing the access method (Google books), just as (I presume) we wouldn't cite the fact that we're using a microform instead of the original. I see a digitized copy as parallel, whether from Google Books or another source of a digitized book. I'd just as soon simply cite as though we have the book itself. I don't see that adding the access method adds anything significant. If the scan is bad, we might want to add something to cover ourselves, but this isn't usually the case.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602