The ability to exchange AIPs between preservation repositories will be
critical to the national (and global) preservation infrastructure.  It
is needed for many reasons including:

-- to have some degree of redundancy, so very valuable content can be
stored in different repositories with different preservation methods
-- to allow for software migrations from one generation of repository
application to another
-- to provide for succession, should one repository fail.

The way I see it, simply replicating content, LOCKSS-wise, isn't
adequate.  We'll need to be able to export and import the entire AIP
along with any preservation metadata that applies to it, including
events (provenance), relationships, and format information.  We will
probably want to export DIPs that include complete PREMIS metadata,
probably expressed in METS or DIDL.

I have a preservation repository (the Florida Digital Archive) that has
been in production since late 2005 using DAITSS software.  DAITSS
creates and stores nearly all relevant PREMIS metadata, but it can not
yet export a DIP with PREMIS in METS, or import a SIP created from such
a DIP.  That is development we want to do.  I would like to apply for a
grant to help support a) building this capacity in DAITSS and (if
necessary) some other system, and b) testing the exchange of these
packages with the other repository as a proof of concept.  It would also
test and help solidify best practices for representing PREMIS in METS.

To do this I need a partner institution in the U.S. who has an
operational PREMIS-conformant preservation repository and wants to do
the same thing.

Any takers?  If you have any interest in talking about this, please
contact me off list.

Priscilla Caplan
Florida Center for Library Automation