From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Maurice Mengel
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Rejected posting to [log in to unmask]

	In your second mail you say that you can save the strange
doc-file to rtf and open it correctly. RTF is an "open" format (you can
download the official microsoft specification of the format for free
somewhere but that should not be necessary for you) and it is not too
difficult to read RTF manually if you open it as ascii ( e.g. by
notepad). Typically an RTF contains all the text in plain form plus some
additional information (control words). You should be able to find it by
simply scrolling through what at first appears to be completely
unintelligle.

	There is a helpful O'Reilly book on rtf and, for example, this
short introduction:

http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/RTF-Writer-1.11/lib/RTF/Cookbook.pod

	which should be more than enough for you to see if the text is
there in a plain form. Then you look out for encoding stuff and fonts
which are the possible sources of your problem. Maybe this helps for
diagnosis of the problem.

	I am not sure if the effort is necessary, though, but wanted to
point this out as a possibility anyways.

	Something else: If printing works, maybe you can print to PDF
and continue from there.

	best
	Maurice