Janet:

I'm presenting primping up my comments to submit them formally, so
don't worry, you'll get to see them again.  I forwarded this bit to
this particular list at the suggestion of another member (though it
took a bit of doing--this list doesn't accept anything over 200
lines).  I did it to try and spark some discussion, rather than as an
alternative to sending something in to the working group.

As someone who has done some formal publication and some informal
publication, I have to say I'm a bit more ambivalent about the use of
formal publication as a venue for communication on the important
issues we're discussing now.  I don't have a blog of my own at the
moment, but do publish sometimes on the LITA blog.  Most of my
"formal" papers have been submitted to conferences, mostly the DC
conferences (which currently do a bloody awful job of exposing them
for indexing, but hopefully that will change soon).  And I publish a
bimonthly column in Technicalities (which I know you've seen, since
you publish one there, too).  I occasionally do other kind of
articles in the kind of "regular" journals I suspect you're thinking,
but I recently decided that I was going to stop doing that--for
someone like me, who doesn't need to worry about tenure or promotion,
and is far too impatient to wait for 18 months to 2 years for
something to be formally published, it was the only sensible thing to
do.

Aside from the publication delays, I don't like the access
restrictions on my work that these journals impose.  For those of us
in academe, getting at these publications is dead easy, but for many
of the other people I want to communicate with, getting at this stuff
is either difficult or impossible. My world is no longer primarily
other academic librarians, and while I'd have to keep publishing in
those publications if I were concerned about creating a publication
record to support a tenure decision, I'm past that now. My primary
concerns are getting in on a conversation before it's too late to
have an impact, and making sure that what I say is targeted at the
people I want to hear it (or it gets blogged, discussed in other
venues, or whatever).  I archive my papers, columns and most
presentations on Cornell's IR, and that seems to overcome some of the
gaps in other distribution mechanisms I use.

So I'd say--sure, write it up, make sure it's deposited somewhere
other people can find it and read it, and if you need to do "dead
tree publishing" for other reasons, go for that, too.  There are
these days a lot of ways to "share our work" and formal publication
is no longer the only way, or, in some cases the best way to
communicate.

Diane
(contrarian as always)

--