Well, that’s what I originally said: he wants a new ID for an already coded language (even if called by a different name). We should not code a new ID in such a case.

Peter.

From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Spanne
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 10:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ISO 639-2 Language Code Change Request (fwd)

I interpreted his request more along the same lines as Rebecca, suggesting that "Extreme Meridional Italian" is a better name for the whole language, since it does not elevate one dialect (Sicilian) over all the others in using that one to represent the whole group of dialects. Then, along with a name change, he also is suggesting a change of identifier that is, similarly, more representative of all.

Of course, one wonders how many speakers of Calabrian, Salentinian, Tarantinian, or even Sicilian, would recognize "Extreme Meridional Italian" as referring to their language? Google brings up one page, though the Italian form ("Italiano meridionale-estremo") brings up a few hundred.

-Joan

Peter Constable <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to

cc

Subject

Re: ISO 639-2 Language Code Change Request (fwd)

I was interpreting that as "code is available, so request it be used". Who knows, though: he isn't really clear about exactly what change he's asking for.

Peter