Well, I split my college years between physics and psychology, so I may
be more open to the oddities of audio than many. It is often easier to
deny a phenomena than to explain it. Hell, we have presidential
candidates running on that very platform.

De-gaussing involves a strong magnetic field, cleaning/polishing
removes production residue and optimizes the optical interface, precise
trimming at an angle insures centering and minimizes internal
reflections, which may reduce error correction. Physics, optics,
mechanics haven't been hokum for a while.

If person A can hear effects person B can't, it's hardly something to
get one's knickers in a twist over. My dog hears things I can't. Fair
enough, that's why we let her ancestors into the cave. Actually, so can
my wife. Part of our courtship involved demonstrating that a good
stereo allowed her to hear the differences between analog and digital,
between wires, components, speaker positions, etc. Once she decided I
was a just discriminating guy and not a lunatic after all, it became
much easier to justify the occasional upgrade.

It is true that virtually all magazines exist to sell advertising. And
like the man said 97% of just about everything is junk. Some people
would rather read Wine magazines than imbibe based on price and the
picture on the label.

Bruce