On Jan 22, 2008, at 2:16 PM, phillip holmes wrote:

> The Technics (the one Tom mentions) is the way to go.  For better
> sound, keep the Technics and use nicer/better electronics and maybe
> custom heads.  That Technics transport is super gentle and it's got
> good looks.  Also, the Technics turntables are still state-of-the-
> art when combined with a good plinth and tonearm.  Matsushita put
> way more money/time/engineering into those products than any high-
> end audio garage outfit will be able to do (or Ampex for that
> matter).  I'm not saying there aren't other great tape decks and
> turntables (or that Ampex engineers sucked).  What I am saying is
> that if you want a great machine for your home, the Technics is the
> way to go.

I've had a Technics RS1500US for a number of years. It's one of
several decks that I own and while I have very limited experience
with ATR 100s, MR70s, Studer A80-812-820s, it still doesn't prevent
me from lusting after one. That said, there's very little that I
haven't modified on my 1500. The major one has been wiring the heads
directly to output and using a custom, tube playback amp..I have Greg
Orton from Fux Magnetics, building a pair of custom heads( 1/2 track
15ips and 1/4 track 7.5ips)  that he'll be installing in my headblock
in a couple of weeks.  Personally, I'd love to get an A80 and give it
this same sort of treatment. But until I feel satisfied that I've
wrung every last bit of performance out of the Technics, I'll wait.
The only way that I can "know" that every adjustment or modification
is "spot on" is if I do it myself (it certainly helps that I enjoy
this kind of self torture).  The combination of my deck and the Tape
Projects master dubs would be pretty hard to beat. I have a couple of
friends that have what would currently be considered among the best
sounding digital playback front-ends (EMM Labs transports/Dac) and
they are shocked how much better my tapes sound than their SACDs.
These comparisons are done with their systems.
BTW Bruce, I was glad to see your name here. I still miss your
newsletter.