Hi Tom-

Of course not.

It is a discussion of your proposal. I find that flawed in many ways,
some of which I addressed. However, you also had a nice suggestion,
that there might be -just might be, of course- an inverse in digital to
what you call analog euphony. I suggest we agree to call that effect
"dysphony", and share the credit. If you are willing to acknowledge
that perception as well as technical measurement plays a role in the
experience of recorded music, I'm willing to join you in a
presentation.

I quite well understand that error correction, rotational stability,
etc. have roles in assessing disc quality, even sound quality per se. I
don't see how that correlates with a perception like  "decent-sounding"
unless there is also a continuum from euphony to dysphony to place such
a concept as a midpoint. As you note, some distortions sound (i.e., are
perceived as) more euphonic than others (odd vs. even harmonic, for
example), so it is no stretch to now say some sound more dysphonic. If
you are old enough to have endured .00001% THD  70's Japanese
transistor electronics as well as SET tube amps, you know what I mean.

Let me suggest we start a book club. Go to Amazon, and buy any of these
titles:

Music, The Brain, And Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination-
Robert Jourdain
Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain- Oliver Sacks
This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession-Levitin

We'll read it together and compare notes. I'm sure they are all decent
reads. Maybe some others on the list could join us?

In fact, if Jerry is willing to make sure the pages are in the correct
order and count the typos, I'll buy him a copy too, just so we can
trust but verify that what we read is not corrupted by errors or
distortions of the original Word .doc.

Bruce