In a message dated 1/4/2008 7:21:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Another  interesting thing about 78's -- Norman Granz was still cutting
78-single  versions of jazz
stuff in the mid-50's, so was Blue Note I think. This  does make sense
because there was an installed
base of 78 jukeboxes dating  from the 1940's out there and I'd imagine they
didn't get converted to
45RPM singles boxes overnight.

While attending college, I was the guy to go to NYC and canvas the  producers
for dj copies for our college radio station.  They were quite  generous, and
I'd come back with a stack of (mostly) vinyl 78s.  This was  in the early
'50s.  Prestige was VERY generous, and we obtained a great  many 78s during my
college years.  Incidently, a colleague on the station  went on to some fame on
NYC radio: Dan Ingram.

Don Chichester