Richard L. Hess wrote:

> I had used enough of the 80-minute ones without incident for specific
> projects that I've rolled over and played dead instead of fighting this
> one with the distributor. It appears that all the people who are using
> the archival CD-R that at least these folks are supplying, are migrating
> to the 80-minute ones.
>
> I'm actually moving away from CD-R and going to DVD-R with files or
> uploads.

With Plextools and my Plexwriters, I can determine both C1 and C2 error
rates (CD-R only; unfortunately, not available with DVD recording). I've
not tried MAM-A gold 80s; if I could get one or two to test rather than
a quantity, I would do it out of curiosity. For my 'archives' - very
unofficial ones - I'm happy with using two different media which test
well, branded Taiyo-Yuden and whatever else is handy.

It seems extremely difficult to test DVD recordings with consumer gear.
That does inhibit me a bit on archiving with them, but again I use two
different media for each master - and keep my fingers crossed. So far,
no problems but in time I may well lose something of value. That's the
price of convenience, I'm afraid.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/