Please excuse the cross-posting, but the opinions of both ARSC and
Bootlegtalk will be of interest. The problem is an odd one in reversing
the usual question about translations. Of course, if I were wealthy, I
would simply ask for opinions from an assortment of attorneys
specializing in intellectual property. Resolving their disagreements
would quickly dispose of any wealth I might have had to begin with.

Suppose a work - in this case, the text of sung material - is in
copyright. Suppose that I prepare a translation from a legal copy of the
original. Is it legal for me to put the translation in the public domain
even though the original is protected?

The question is not academic - I have such a situation at my WWW site
now and am considering creating another instance.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/