For starters, the only 78s that are truly unbreakable are the ones made for
mood music libraries (Chappell, Boosey & Hawkes et al) in the 50s and Capitol's
"Superflex" kids records in the 40s. Everything else can be cracked by putting
your thumbnails together and pushing up..experimenting this way on unwanted
discs is a good way to learn which ones will and which ones won't. Even Decca
LPs from the mid 50s to the early 60s will fail this test.

Other than that, it may be a matter of what country you're in. Canadian plants
kept 78s into 1960 and all but Quality used shellac, while Quality's vinyl was
easily cracked.

dl