  I believe Don Cox is correct. I remember that when the recording was issued
on Richmond (the bargain-priced London Records label) in the USA around 1959,
both the ads in Schwann and the record cover said it was the first release --
in the USA, anyway. I can't confirm it because I wouldn't know in which issue
of Schwann to look and replaced the crummy American Decca-pressed Richmond
record years ago.

  Also years ago, Mike Gray told me that this performance had been recorded
in stereo but that the stereo master was accidentally "wiped" (erased). Perhaps
that accounted for the delay in releasing it; perhaps not. Decca/London had
the Kleiber/Concertgebouw Eroica on LLP 239, referred to in an earlier post.
But in 1959, when this was issued, stereo LPs were a reality. Could they have
decided to issue it, mono only, before an expected stereo wave would make it
seem obsolete?

  Don Tait

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in
shape.