Matt,

This is an interesting link, but as a scientific experiment it does not
seem very useful: What is the hypothesis? How are we quantifying it? A
statement such as "my fellow listeners appeared to be equally
uncomfortable" does not seem conducive to analysis.

If the highs were perceived not to be "as silky smooth" --in other
words, if the differentiating factor has been identified after just one
listen of a short passage--, should not the same listener be able to
correctly identify such a difference in a blind test? Logic seems to
indicate that he should, but perhaps the brain works in mysterious ways.

Incidentally, it seems that not all ABX tests have concluded that
listeners are less sensitive than we thought. I was told in school that
most average Joes can hear at most a difference of 1 dB, but a group of
5 listeners in an ABX test perceived differences of 0.4 dB 93% of the
time (note: this is not a peer-reviewed paper, and this is from the ABX
web page, so it is not conclusive evidence).

http://www.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_lvl.htm

Cheers,

marcos