At  1/8/2008 04:19 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
>I'm asking simply -- can a library ciculate a
>COPY if their ORIGINAL is out of print, likely
>to be destroyed by circulation or otherwise hard or impossible to replace.

It doesn't specifically address your question,
but here's an excerpt from the U.S. Copyright
Office's Summary of the 1998 Copyright Act
(http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf):

"Exemption for Nonprofit Libraries and Archives
Section 404 of the DMCA amends the exemption for
nonprofit libraries and archives in section 108
of the Copyright Act to accommodate digital
technologies and evolving preservation practices.
Prior to enactment of the DMCA, section 108
permitted such libraries and archives to make a
single facsimile (i.e., not digital) copy of a
work for purposes of preservation or interlibrary
loan. As amended, section 108 permits up to three
copies, which may be digital, provided that
digital copies are not made available to the
public outside the library premises. In addition,
the amended section permits such a library or
archive to copy a work into a new format if the
original format becomes obsolete—that is, the
machine or device used to render the work
perceptible is no longer manufactured or is no
longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace."

John Ross