Hi Jane,

I think the answer may depend on whether you are describing an image as an
archival document in itself or a surrogate of a document for which you
already have an item level description.

This is a discussion we had on the LEADERS project when we were creating
descriptions of original documents, together with transcripts (encoded using
TEI) and images.  We decided to use <altformavail> within <c> for
descriptions of the surrogates, as we felt that <dao> was intended for use
when the item is itself a digital object.  We used a type attribute to
distinguish between the images and the transcripts.

Hope this helps

Chris

Chris Turner
Berwyn Consulting