Joan: you removed the macrolanguage mapping from cxx (Northern Zhuang) to zha (Zhuang), evidently because cxx has been retired. I would not have thought that retiring an ID causes the macrolanguage mapping to go away. If there are existing uses of cxx and zha, those should not be affected apart from a recommendation to transition from using cxx to other, more granularly-divided IDs. This represents a stability problem: we don't want to make changes that can invalidate existing usage.

In general, I'm inclined to think that macrolanguage mappings should rarely if ever be removed once defined.

Peter

From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Spanne
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The 2007 round of changes for Part 3 have been decided

Dear JAC,

The decisions for most of the 258 change requests submitted for the 2007 round have been finalized, and are summarized in the attached report. The same report is posted on the home page of the 639-3 site. There are 10 remaining requests that are not yet decided, one of which relates to a ISO 639-2 code element (was being considered as a macrolanguage possibility), another which should probably be considered by the whole JAC. For the other eight, I would appreciate the input of members of the JAC, as well. For some of them, I have additional research information, which I will forward in separate memos.

All the requests still pending can be seen at:
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_requests.asp
(you will see that there is still the matter of Medieval Greek still pending; I will revive discussion on that shortly, once "other" collections is finished)

Thanks,

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International