The National Historical Publications and Records Commission will be
holding a conference call on March 5, 2008 to answer questions about its
Digitizing Historical Records grants. In brief, these grants support:
"The Commission seeks proposals that use cost-effective methods to
digitize nationally-significant historical record collections and make
the digital versions freely available on the Internet. Project must make
use of existing holdings of historical repositories and be made up of
entire collections or series. The materials should already be available
to the public at the archives and described so that projects can re-use
existing information to create metadata for the digitized collection."

The full announcement is available here:
http://www.archives.gov/nhprc/announcement/digitizing.html.
Applications are due on June 2, 2008.  NHPRC staff will review drafts if
they are submitted by April 1, 2008.

The conference call will begin on Wednesday, March 5 at 4:00 PM Eastern
Time and last one hour.  If you are interested in participating, please
send an email to Nathan Sowry at [log in to unmask] He will send you
the information on how to participate.  We are limited to 25
participants in this call.  We hope this call will clarify issues and
help people prepare competitive proposals.  We will send a summary of
questions and answers to this list afterwards.

Please forward this email to other appropriate mailing lists (such as
regional archival organizations, library communities, etc). It will also
be posted on the EAD-listserv and the COSA listserv.

Lucy Barber
202-357-5306
fax: 202-357-5914
Director for Technology Initiatives
National Historical Publications and Records Commission
National Archives and Records Administration
700 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Rm 106
Washington, DC 20408-0001