From: Bryan Campbell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Mon 2/25/2008 7:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]; Suzanne Stauffer
Cc: Bryan Campbell
Subject: Re: AACR2 Chapter 13 : Analysis

Do you also teach Analysis outside of the context of serials? That is, do
you teach about creating component parts or in-analytic records for
monographic composite works as an alternative to putting the information
into a contents note?

I ask because I have read and heard that in practice Chapter 13 is the
least applied chapter, especially in the context that I mention, and it
seems that one only reads about Analysis in relation to serials or series.
I know about the LCRIs for Chapter 13 that have been in effect since 1989
(esp. the LCRI for 13.5), so I was curious to know to what extent and in
what context catalogers learn about Analysis these days.

Bryan Campbell
VDOT Research Library
Charlottesville, VA

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:39:11 -0600, Suzanne Stauffer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We look at it in Advanced Cataloging, along with serials. I don't give it
as much time as other chapters because, after learning about serials, the
students find Analysis simple and logical.

>Why do you ask?
>
>Suzanne M. Stauffer, Ph.D.
>Assistant Professor
>School of Library and Information Science
>Louisiana State University
>275 Coates Hall
>Baton Rouge, LA 70803
>(225)578-1461