Hello, Elizabeth,

A regional database that takes advantage of EAD tags in searching and browsing is the Northwest Digital Archives:

http://nwda-db.wsulibs.wsu.edu/nwda%2Dsearch/

In addition to the browsing options, click on Advanced Search.

The Library of Congress browse options depend on tags:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/faid/

And the University of Washington Libraries Special Collections Division provides quite a few options for searching and browsing based on tagged information:

http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcoll/findaids/

Thanks.

Marsha Maguire
Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division
Library of Congress
Packard Campus
19053 Mount Pony Rd.
Culpeper, VA 22701-
202-707-8465

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of the Library of Congress.

>>> Elizabeth H Dow <[log in to unmask]> 4/26/2008 10:59:53 AM >>>
When I teach EAD, I stress the value of tagging as a way to add intelligence to the text.  Yesterday I got this question from a student:

"We're doing all this encoding in part so that search engines can search these documents better and understand when Washington is a city or a person's name.  What kinds of search engines are we talking about?  Not Yahoo or Google.  Can you give us a demo of one of these search engines?"

I know that the Women Travel Writers Project set up tag-based searches in DynaWeb, but they've gone away.  Does anyone know of others?

Elizabeth H. Dow
Associate Professor
Louisiana State University