Dear CONSER and BIBCO OpCo attendees:

I'm sending this message to follow-up to the PowerPoint slide about 029 fields in OCLC records.  I said that you could delete them or leave them if you wish when upgrading a record.  I'd like to clarify with the following (that I've learned since the OpCo meetings).

The majority of the 029 fields in records may be deleted in normal bibliographic maintenance.  However, we ask that if you find 029 fields on records for electronic resources, particularly journals and other continuing resources, please do not delete the 029.  This field is necessary for the correct functioning of the OCLC eSerials Holdings Service.  These 029 fields may be recognized by their specific format:

029           OCLCS ǂb OP-[nnnnn]

For example, OCLC #85448622
029          OCLCS ǂb OP-46029

For more information about the OCLC eSerials Holdings Service, please see
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/eserialsholdings/>, or send questions to Linda Gabel, product manager for the service at <[log in to unmask]>.

Cynthia M. Whitacre
Manager, WorldCat Quality & Partner Content Dept.
OCLC
800-848-5878, ext. 6183