We have done this in the YMCA Archives/University of Minnesota
Libraries.  For our records of YMCA work with the armed services, we
created a summary finding aid with descriptions of each major series.
These series descriptions include links to separate finding aids
describing that series in more detail.  We used <extref>, though, not
<archref>.

See http://special.lib.umn.edu/findaid/xml/yusa0004a.xml

The above link will take you directly to the XML file for the summary
finding aid so you can view the encoding.  You can also see how the same
group of finding aids are interlinked in our DLXS finding aids database
by going to http://discover.lib.umn.edu/findaid/ and searching on
keywords: ymca armed services records

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Lara D. Friedman-Shedlov