From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michele R Combs
Sent: May 19, 2008 6:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Weird containers

A question for the collective wisdom:  how do you encode material in

non-standard containers?  We have a set list of "accepted" terms for

primary <container> element (Box, Package, Oversize, Mapcase, etc) and

secondary (Folder, Drawer, Reel, etc).  Occasionally we have items that

are in something weird -- a metal box, for example, or a camera case, or

a canvas bag, or a tube, or...

Is it better to only use the <container> element for a consistent list

of standard container types, and put the oddities in the abstract or

other descriptive element?  Or should one use the <container> element

always, even for strange things?  I can see arguments for both

approaches and wondered what others have done.

Thanks

Michele

Michele Combs

Manuscripts Librarian