[log in to unmask]" v:shapes="_x0000_s1026">
PLEASE POST and/or PUBLISH
The Museum of Chinese in Americas (MOCA) is
dedicated to reclaiming, preserving, and interpreting the history and culture
of Chinese and their descendants in the
MoCA is seeking an experienced Collections Consultant to ensure that MoCA maintains best professional policies and practices. Working with the MOCA Collections Manager, the Consultant will help develop policies, standards, and guidelines; establish methods for safekeeping of permanent and historically valuable objects/records; and consider the establishment of a new storage area in accordance with archival standards. The Consultant will also make recommendations for a comprehensive archival management plan; priorities for specific collections, online collection planning, and archiving digital media.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
The Collections Consultant will conduct a wide range of responsibilities related to the storage, movement, insurance, cleaning and cataloguing of the museum's vast collection.
The Consultant should posses the following:
· skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities for short- and long-term institutional goals;
· a good knowledge of collections management policies, procedures and practices necessary for the effective administration of an archival management program;
· good understanding of the principles and procedures of historical research;
· in-depth experience working with a complex collection – knows how to efficiently and accurately access and de-access objects, develop and work with a collections database, arrange incoming and outgoing loans, monitor complex insurance needs, organize vast storages areas;
· knowledge of the latest electronic outreach tools, and experience in organizing and sharing information via new technologies;
· knowledge of AACR2, Library of Congress Thesaurus for Graphic Materials, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and General International Standard Archival Description.
TIMEFRAME & DELIVERABLES:
Over a four-month period (or six-month period on a part-time basis), the Collections Consultant will produce a Collections Plan that addresses and incorporates:
· collection loan, acquisition, and disposal policies and guidelines;
· conservation, preservation, cleaning, repair, and storage techniques for archival materials and collections;
· guidelines for the evaluation of electronic/non-electronic records and objects when assessing items for historical value;
· cataloging and classification of historical objects and documents, electronic records, photographs, books, and any other archival materials;
· the museum’s public research services – standard policies and procedures to ensure that the public’s needs are met in a courteous and efficient manner;
· issues around digital artifacts and online collections planning;
· short-term and long-range collection goals that meet the needs, priorities and goals of the museum.
· Staffing requirements, work flows, and operating budget including revenue projections
· identifying the Management Information System and handling the full implementation of the system
Please send, email or fax a cover letter and resume to:
Collections Consultant Search
Fax: (212) 619-4720