My experience is that EAD does not accommodate indexes created prior to ead very well, if at all.

For record groups or collections to which we had a holdings-specific index but no inventory, such as:
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua03003 and
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua21001 , we managed to derive inventories of sorts, and add the index text to the document, although such indexes cannot be <index> in EAD because they do not make reference to a specific part of an inventory.  I  think with Lowell (hua03003) we ended up using <c> even though these are not really components.

We have a different situation, however, with a card index that indexes persons and topics across a number of record groups of University records up to 1850.  Is this latter scenario the one you are asking about?  I have not attempted to encode this.  The cards are handwritten and thus do not lend themselves easily to low-cost transcription, although I would very much like to have them transcribed.  I suspect I would either not use EAD or use some very unorthodox EAD encoding for this data.

Kate