Another approach would be be recursion, for example, multiple <scopecontent> elements in different languages nested within a parent <scopecontent>.

Michael Fox

-----Original Message-----
From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Sheppard
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bilingual ead finding aids

But that would imply a separate finding aid. Is there no built in accommodation for a single EAD encoded in multiple languages?
That is, one EAD, identified by a unique ID, encoded in multiple languages. It doesn't seem there is.

But if there were, it would be a simple matter to handle linking between language versions via the delivery software.

On June 4, at 10:00 AM, Susan Hamburger wrote:

> Fabienne and Tifenn, the EAD tag, <otherfindingaid> can be used in
> both the English and the French versions of the finding aid to point
> to each other.
>
> Sue
>
> At 09:16 AM 6/4/2008, you wrote:
>> Hello to everyone
>> Please allow me to transmit to the list a request from a young
>> archivist, Tifenn Hamonic.
>> F. Queyroux
>> Bibliothèque de l'Institut de France
>>
>> "Good morning,
>> As a student of the Ecole nationale des chartes (Paris), I'm actually
>> carrying out  the Catalogue of the archives of archaeology kept at
>> the Institut de France (Paris). In this purpose, the description of
>> archives has been encoded in xml using the dtd ead. Then, these files
>> were loaded into the software Pleade 3.
>> The project has a difficulty that I would like to submit to you.
>> We want to
>> make the files available both in English and French.  Each
>> description has to refer to the same description in the other
>> language. I wonder which tag(s) should be used to make links between
>> the French and English versions.
>> More generally, I would be very interested to learn about any fully
>> bilingual finding aids and the ways the encoding has been done and
>> the search interface programmed.
>> Can you please enlighten me on this
>> subject?
>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>> Tifenn Hamonic
>> Master II, Histoire et nouvelles technologies Ecole nationale des
>> chartes
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
>>  "
>
> Susan Hamburger, Ph.D.
> Manuscripts Cataloging Librarian
> Cataloging and Metadata Services
> 126 Paterno Library
> The Pennsylvania State University
> University Park, PA 16802
>
> 814/865-1756
> FAX 814/863-7293

Brian Sheppard
University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
[log in to unmask]    (608) 262-3349