From: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Jerome McDonough
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [METS] transformFile element usage question?

Hate to say it, since I should have caught this in editing, but the
Primer has an error.  <transformFile> is defined as a restriction on
the XML Ur-type anyType, and has no child character/markup content.
If you want to include the specifics of how the transform is to be
performed, you have two options: 1. use the TRANSFORMALGORITHM
attribute to record a string description, or 2. use the
TRANSFORMBEHAVIOR to reference a specific <behavior> element which
implements the transformation.  If you're using option 1, you might
have:

> <mets:fileSec ID="TransformEX_01">
>   <mets:fileGrp ID="TAR_GZ_container_01" USE="Container">
>     <mets:file MIMETYPE="application/tar.gz" USE="Container">
>       <mets:FLocat xlink:href="file:sample01.tar.gz"
> ID="sampleTar01.gz" LOCTYPE="URL" />
>       <mets:transformFile TRANSFORMORDER="1"
> TRANSFORMTYPE="decompression" TRANSFORMALGORITHM="gunzip
> sample01.tar.gz | tar -xvf" />
>       <mets:file SEQ="1" MIMETYPE="image/tiff"
> CHECKSUM="c1b82611e48066016ceb8daa93d46de7"CHECKSUMTYPE="MD5">
>         <mets:FLocat xlink:href="file:sample01_image01.tiff"
> LOCTYPE="URL" USE="Archival Master"/>
>       </mets:file>
>       <mets:file SEQ="2" MIMETYPE="image/jpeg"
> CHECKSUM="c3cb82611e48066016ceb8daa93d46df5" CHECKSUMTYPE="MD5">
>         <mets:FLocat xlink:href="file:sample01_image01jpeg"
> LOCTYPE="URL"USE="Display Derivative"/>
>       </mets:file>
>     </mets:file>
>   </mets:fileGrp>
> </mets:fileSec>

Jerome McDonough, Asst. Professor
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, Room 202
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 244-5916