Right, they are refinements. Sometimes there are even separate indexes in
the source database for the various keyword categories.

But one might decide not to maintain all subject refinements for retrieval
purposes in mapping to MODS. The original database may have served experts,
while the new environment for the data is for general users. In that case,
having the displayLabel available for the subject element gives one the
option to retain the refinements/distinctions for display purposes only. I'm
just representing that need.

Joe