The Philadelphia Fantastic Authors and Editors Series invite  you to join us
and meet author Tom Purdom reading from his latest  story, "Madame Pompadour's
Blade" which is
appearing in the June edition of  Jim Baen's Universe, an online magazine
published by Baen Books.
The date is Friday June 27, 2008, at 7:30 PM. The place is  Robins
Bookstores, 108 S. 13th Street, Phila., Pa, conveniently located in  Center City
Philadelphia at the corner of 13th and Sansom  Sts.
Robin's  Bookstore will also webcast the event.  If you can not be there  in
person, you can tune in by going to  _www.robinsbookstoreonline.com_
(http://www.robinsbookstoreonline.com)  at  7:30 and clicking the button that says
"Click to Hear Philadelphia Fantastic  Authors and Editors Series." Because our
series is now also webcast, we will be  starting promptly at 7:30 PM. For those
used to our more relaxed starting time  of the past, please note the change in
our approach.
        Tom  Purdom's short stories and novelettes have appeared in
_Asimov's_ (http://www.asimovs.com/) , _Analog_ (http://www.sfsite.com/analog/) , The
Magazine of Fantasy and  Science Fiction, Galaxy, Amazing, other SF magazines,
and  various anthologies. Since 1988, he has been writing SF novelettes  which
have mostly appeared in Asimov's. His novels have appeared  under the Ace
imprint (I WANT THE STARS, THE TREELORD OF IMETEN, FIVE AGAINST  ARLANE, THE
BARONS OF BEHAVIOR), and the Berkley imprint (REDUCTION IN ARMS).
He is the  editor of one anthology, ADVENTURES IN DISCOVERY  (Doubleday,
1969), a collection of specially commissioned articles on science by  Asimov,
Silverberg, Anderson, and other leading science fiction writers of the  time.
Purdom's non fiction articles have appeared in  Worlds of  Tomorrow.
Kiwanis, American Education, American  Libraries, and the Philadelphia Inquirer. The
subjects he  has written about include arms control, education, home safety,
and the  performing arts.
Starting in 1988, Tom Purdom began his career as a music critic and  turned
out seven years of a weekly Welcomat column "Classical, Baroque,  etc.",
reviewing three or four Philadelphia music events per column. Since  then he has
been a music critic and arts writer for two other  Philadelphia weeklies, a
regional arts magazine called Seven Arts, a  national online guide to the arts
called _CultureFinder_ (http://www.culturefinder.com/) , the Philadelphia guide
posted by _CitySearch_ (http://www.citysearch.com/) , and _Philadelphia_
(http://www.phillymag.com/)  magazine.  For a look  at his current efforts as a
reviewer, visit the _Broad Street Review_ (http://www.broadstreetreview.com/) , an
online  publication sponsored by Philadelphia's University of the Arts and
edited by the  same Dan Rottenberg who edited the Welcomat.
Please join us  Friday to meet one of the most urbane and sophisticated
voices in the genre.
PHILADELPHIA  FANTASTIC

Philadelphia Fantastic presents a series of readings and  informal
discussions by and with local  and regional writers of speculative  fiction on the
fourth Friday of the month. The events are free and dinner with  the guest
afterwards is at a local restaurant on a pay as you go basis.

UPCOMING READINGS

In July, our guests will be Gardner Dozois,  Michael Swanwick and Tom Purdom,
our August guest will be Paul Levinson, in  September we will have Gregory
Frost and our October guest will be Judy Moffett.  For further information about
the Philadelphia Fantastic reading series, contact  Oz Fontecchio at