Hello, William,

There are procedures on the Web for doing this, but I've never tried
them. They all involve scary methods of swapping discs and confusing
the machine.

The go-to people for this type of repair if you're serious about it are:
http://www.esdl.co.uk/

I have sent several people there in the past and have received a rave
review and no other comments.

They have some neat tools you can buy, but for a few MDs their
service is less costly. I thought about getting their tools and
decided I'd just rather send people there who came to me with problem
MDs. I'm focusing on analog tape (open reel and cassettes; audio and
instrumentation) and can transfer several digital formats.

And, as a reminder, these folks are listed in my hierarchical formats
and resources section on my website.  http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard