Hi, Jeff and Mike,

I'd be very curious to know what you find with these cassettes as I'm
looking at the SM cassettes as a possible solution to some playback
issues (using these instead of generic C-0 cassettes for playing
challenging tapes).

Please see if you can isolate the mechanism that is causing the
squeal which is, as far as I know, stick-slip of the tape against
something stationary. For example, I'd be interested if removing the
supply side arm cures it while removing the takeup side arm doesn't
(which I suspect).

As to 3M175, please see the next issue of ARSC Journal for my paper,
or I can provide a copy of the earlier AES preprint if you wish.

Cheers,

Richard