Ping is a network utility that sends an echo request to a distant
computer and reports the amount of time needed to receive a response.
It's called "ping" because it resembles a ship's sonar system that
produces a "ping" sound when it returns an echo.

Many people claim that it's short for Packet InterNet Groper, but the
person who wrote the original software denied it.

You can try it: go to a command prompt and type "ping" followed by an
Internet address. You will see the result on your screen.

John Ross