From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Bob Ohlsson wrote:

> [...]

----- I think it has to with the fact that the hot stylus technique did not
get used until 1948. The noise level when cutting wax was 4 dB lower than
when cutting lacquer cold. The above figures are from memory only. However, I
do know that the principle was invented early 1920s by Miessner.

At EMI, lacquer was used for colonial recording from the late 1930s; I
suppose this logistic choice was sensible and outweighed the increased noise
that would be masked by the shellac mixture. And the end users were probably
not esteemed as being quality-conscious.

Kind regards,

George