George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> At EMI, lacquer was used for colonial recording from the late 1930s; I
> suppose this logistic choice was sensible and outweighed the increased noise
> that would be masked by the shellac mixture. And the end users were probably
> not esteemed as being quality-conscious.

That, and the colonial buyers were likely as not listening on cheap
suitcase portables, which would not have the frequency range of a more
expensive floor model....although I would think that any surface noise
would actually be MORE noticeable on suitcases, since they didn't
reproduce the bass range all that well.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago