Hi Tim:  There can be a number of things that add up to causing these
problems.  It will help to put the tape into another better shell with
rotating guides.  This will reduce friction by getting rid of the
fixed posts.  Also the rotating guides  are grooved and provide much
better tape guidance for winding than a straight post which allows the
tape to slide up and down its non-grooved  surface and thus cause very
uneven pack winds.

Another issue is whether or not the pack winds of the cassette are
smooth packs or if there are a lot of popped strands with uneven
winding.  The very thin C-90 tapes tend to have popped strand type
uneven winding which makes them have a friction event with the shell's
surfaces, putting extra frictional drag on the tape pack. This makes
for a greater frictional load on the spindles of the tape machine
trying to turn the cassette tape hubs and move the tape through the
cassette mechanism.  A test for this is not  only visual, but when the
tape comes to a halt, one can find out  by taking the tape out of the
tape deck and attempting to turn the hub manually by hand to see if
it  is hard to turn.  If so, then frictional events in the shell with
the pack winds and posts should be evident.  However, if and when the
tape is put in a new shell be aware that sometimes there are physical
differences between various makes of hubs and shells. Some
combinations work well with low friction and no problems while others
do not.  The plastic slip sheets do a lot of good to help assure
smooth tape winds and lower popped strand winding.  If  shells are
changed, another thing to do is fast wind the tape several times from
start to end to attempt to get smoother even pack winds and thus
reduce uneven pack induced friction with the shell surfaces.  One
might start out with the new shell slighly loose and the screws not
tightened down completely at first so as to  not jam the shell or slip
sheets down tight against the popped strand tape winds on the hubs.
As the several winds get more even and smoother,  then tighten up the
shell screws to completely close up the cassette shell.

Another issue is the tape machine itself.  What is the torque of the
spindles of the tape machine?   If the spindle torque is low, it may
be fine for tapes that do not have any problems, but when the friction
goes up, as in this case, the torque of the spindles may be too low to
move the tape of the problematic C-90s.  In that case, try another
cassette machine and see if it has higher spindle torque.  If it does,
that might make the tape move. One might be able to adjust the spindle
torque for higher turning power, but then this may get too high for
tapes in good condition and could get outside manufacturer's
recommendation.  If you do not want to get into the spindle torque
issue, then perhaps a solution is to use an object, such as a drill
bit, and a hand drill, and very carefully wind the tape manually a
time or two to get the popped strand problem solved.  Once this is
done the tape should work well, provided it was not already badly
warped, edge damaged, or is newly stretched  by forced remedial
efforts to wind it properly.

Its unlikely the tape has dried out and is sticking to itself.  Recall
that with cassettes, the oxide faces outward and its only major
frictional event is at the play and erase heads when in the record or
play mode.  The bare base film of the tape is touching the posts and
guides, not the oxide coating. Cassette tapes almost never have carbon
black back coating, so its goo not around to cause friction
problems.    Lubrication is not recommended because it does not
address the above mechanical friction issues.  It is likely to make
matters worse and get all over various surfaces.

Hope this is helpful.        Charlie Richardson