This was the first time I'd encountered squeal in 175, aside from some years
back when I was given a bunch of unused pancakes of the stuff that had been in
storage for at least 20 years. I used one and found it to be very tightly
packed and sticky towards the center.

Anyone ever use 3M 275, which was being used in France in the 70s? It looks
like 175. I had one reel gum up a Studer in about 1984, and I can't recall any
other bad reels.

dl