----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]>
>I figure this is as good as any group to ask ...
> I'm looking for a concise but complete book that details the history of
> classical music. I'm not really interested in a guide to recordings or one
> man's opinions of various works, but rather a chronological history of the
> development of the music, from the "early music" up well into the 20th
> century. Again, I'm not interested in a critique or an agenda, but a
> history and chronology.

This reminds me...there is ONE never-compiled discographic work which I
could
SERIOUSLY use! This is (sort of) a classical-record equivalent to ADBD...in
which one could find discographic details on the many classical-music
recordings
issued on 78rpm phonorecords from 1890 to "whenever" (compiler's
choice"...?!

Steven C. Barr