Jeff,

Your absolutely right. They do have arms inside the shell, just as you
describe. I am currently working my way through 900+hrs of oral history
recordings, most of which are recorded on cassettes. Next time I come
across the same problem I'll try removing the arms and see what happens.
Thanks for the tip.

Best wishes

Mike

--