The summer 2008 issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org.

In this issue we're featuring new releases devoted to two of the greatest soul singers ever to walk the planet-Al Green's CD on the Blue Note label, Lay it Down; and the documentary Movin' On Up: The Music and Message of Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions, recently issued on DVD. Our classical reviewer discusses the music of John Carter as performed on the Christine Brewer Sings.  Three new blues CDs are reviewed: Smithsonian Folkways' compilation of Classic Piano Blues; their forthcoming Richmond Blues, performed by Piedmont blues masters Cephas & Wiggins (part of Smithsonian Folkway's African American Legacy Series); and a new compilation in Snapper's Complete Blues Series, The Blues Roots of the Rolling Stones. While the latter provides insight into the African American roots of rock, the review of Santogold provides a glimpse of where rock is headed. Under the hip hop category we're featuring Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III and Atmosphere's When Life Gives you Lemons. Also covered is Innocent Youths, the latest installment in Light in the Attic's "Jamaica-to-Toronto" reggae music series. Concluding this issue is a new book that you'll definitely want to take on vacation or to the beach-The James Brown Reader, ed. by Nelson George and Alan Leeds.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Editor, Black Grooves

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

2805 E. 10th, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530