It is my understanding that MARC Proposal No. 2008-07 was passed, to:
- Make Field 440 obsolete
- In field 490, redefine the first indicator value "1" to "Series traced in
8XX field."

Offically, this does not take effect until the next MARC Update comes out
(which might be in Oct, or will be sometime thereafter); however, I
understand that a number of catalogers have stated their intention of
immediately ceasing to use 440 and beginning to use 490 1/830 for series
statements/series added entries.

This means that records will soon start appearing on OCLC and in Web
accessible catalogs with a 490 series statement traced the same as the 830
series added entry, possibly causing some copy catalogers who are possibly
less in-the-know than those of us keeping up with the latest
cataloging 'gossip' to wonder what is going on. But this is just an aside,
not my main concern.

We, at TMQ, welcome this change and believe it will be considerably less
difficult to teach series treatment done this way. However, it has always
been our policy to only teach concepts when we can point to some official
(or at least semi-official, or at the very least somewhat reputable)
readily available instructions or guidelines for reference.

As far as I can gather, the only 'official' announcement regarding this
change in procedure will be the MARC Update and the subsequent change to
the MARC21 Format manual, in Oct or later. (Might there be an LCRI, even
though LC no longer makes series added entries?)

So my question is whether we should wait until the 'official' announcement
has been made before teaching the new series treatment, or begin teaching
it immediately?

We will be teaching 19 workshops before the end of Oct that are affected to
a small or large degree by this change.

What are all you other Educatters doing?

Thanks,
Deborah

Deborah Fritz
The MARC of Quality