I'm guessing that LOC is planning to have info on ISO 639-5 posted on their 639 Web site. If so, can we get an ETA on when that is expected to be available? (A dependency to ISO 639-5 is being taken in the update to RFC 4646.)

Thanks
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doug Ewell
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ISO 639-5

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

>> where and when will the details of ISO 639-5 standard be freely
>> available?
>
> Never? This is ISO, after all.

I hope this only refers to the details of the standard proper, not the
code list, which is still not freely available.

As editor of 4645bis, I was a strong proponent of including the ISO
639-5 code elements in the expanded Language Subtag Registry, provided
that the 639-5 code list would be made freely available with little
delay.  If this is not going to happen -- and I'm basing that likelihood
not so much on Stéphane's remark as on the continuing lack of
information from the RA -- then perhaps we in LTRU need to revisit that
decision.  We require all of the other core standards to have freely
available code lists.

http://www.ewellic.org