Thanks Rebecca,

When you say "apply for a source code" are you talking about the MARC
Code List part IV?

Thanks, but I don't think our homegrown local vocabularies are "big
time" enough to be listed there - they would probably not be useful for
anyone but us.  That's why I thought to include the institution symbol
in the authority "identifier".

The registry sounds like something different.  Have I got the right picture?

I just discovered (somehow missed the announcement) that subfield 0
(Authority record control number) has been added to the 6xx fields in
MARC21).  However, this doesn't sound appropriate for a URI for the
whole vocabulary.

Clay has given me some idea of what to do in MODS to identify the
vocabulary (and link to the term record, very interesting), but I'm not
sure about MARC.  Trying to envision URIs in subfield 2...

However, this is the MODS list so I guess I shouldn't expect MARC advice!

Laura