Thanks Rebecca,

When you say "apply for a source code" are you talking about the MARC Code List part IV?

Thanks, but I don't think our homegrown local vocabularies are "big time" enough to be listed there - they would probably not be useful for anyone but us.  That's why I thought to include the institution symbol in the authority "identifier".

The registry sounds like something different.  Have I got the right picture?

I just discovered (somehow missed the announcement) that subfield 0 (Authority record control number) has been added to the 6xx fields in MARC21).  However, this doesn't sound appropriate for a URI for the whole vocabulary.

Clay has given me some idea of what to do in MODS to identify the vocabulary (and link to the term record, very interesting), but I'm not sure about MARC.  Trying to envision URIs in subfield 2...

However, this is the MODS list so I guess I shouldn't expect MARC advice!

Laura

Rebecca S. Guenther wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
An easier thing to do (for now) as we are working on the registry (which
will also work in MARC), is to just apply for a source code to name your
vocabulary/thesaurus. Just send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
details-- name of the thesaurus and URI and any publication details if
applicable. Then a code is assigned and it could be used in $2 and in the
MODS authority attribute. As we continue to develop the registry that Clay
mentioned we will provide URIs for the source codes as well as values
within any controlled lists that LC is maintaining. And we plan to discuss
the inclusion of URIs in MARC for controlled values as part of the MARC
Advisory Committee discussions at ALA to accommodate RDA, the new
cataloging rules.

Rebecca