Ray,
Thanks a lot. Yes the issue is CHOICE vs SEQUENCE. Now I can create a sample with top elements.
If you can get it to work with ALL elements that would be wonderful and that's very kind of you. I understand this is not the official xsd.

Karim Boughida

>>> "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]> 7/15/2008 11:47 AM >>>
The problem is MODS use of CHOICE rather than SEQUENCE.  (CHOICE with
MaxOccurs= "unbounded") which allows elements in random order rather than in
sequence.

I've created an experimental schema that changes CHOICE to SEQUENCE at the
top level.  It will generate sample files with top level elements:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods//v3/mods-xxx.xsd

NOTE, IT IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SCHEMA, IT IS FOR EXPERIMENTATION ONLY.

It will generate all the top level elements, but if you want lower level
elements too, we'll need to make the same change throughout the schema,
which will take a bit of work but I could get to it perhaps next week.

--Ray