Adam,

I think we should base the decision on how we want to file in the catalog. It would seem to me that we would not want to disregard the initial article in this case, and, therefore, the second indicator would be zero. And then make an added entry from: Greco ...
This points up a possible problem we have with the form of heading of some personal and corporate names. But that is another issue.
Davi

David Saah
Coop Team
Library of Congress
Ph: (202) 707-3131
Fax: (202) 252-2082d
>>> "Adam L. Schiff" <[log in to unmask]> 7/30/2008 7:26 PM >>>
I've found a mix of practice in both OCLC and our local catalog as to
whether the initial article "El" in "El Greco" should be skipped when it
is at the start of a title, such as:

El Greco and his school
El Greco in the collection of the Hispanic Society of America
El Greco revisited
El Greco in Italy and Italian art
El Greco to Goya
El Greco y el arte de su tiempo
El Greco kommentiert den Wettstreit der Kunste

So what do you all think?  Should the second indicator in field 245 for
these titles be 0 or 3?  Is there a definitive answer that we could arrive
at?  For the record, the personal name heading is established as:
Greco, $d 1541?-1614.

I've seen similar discrepancies with titles beginning with Le Corbusier,
but the predominant coding of the second indicator is 0.  In this case,
his heading is established as Le Corbusier, 1887-1965, so it seems clear
that the initial article in the name is not to be ignored.

Le Corbusier et l'architecture sacree
Le Corbusier secret
Le Corbusier and the concept of self

Thanks,