(Disclaimer: writing as someone that doesn't have experience with
that particular Korg unit)

At 08:01 AM 8/27/2008, you wrote:
>We've discussed how we can help him
>backup the files he creates on this Korg, and believe the way to do it
>is to offload the raw files from the recorder onto hard drive then LTO
>tape, along with a 96 khz / 24-bit BWF rendering using the Korg
>Audiogate software (I don't know that anything else can do it, and I'm
>not terribly comfortable with this, but...).

You shouldn't be worried.  It's a fairly well known process to
convert one-bit to multi-bit PCM.  PCM starts out as one-bit files to
being with.  But to put your mind at ease, read the Sigma-Delta
Conversion and Noise Shaping chapter in Pohlmann's "Principles of
Digital Audio" (a ubiquitous text for digital audio).  It's chapter
18 in the fourth edition, but may be elsewhere in the current edition.