From George Brock-Nannestad: "...The creation of standards for recording and

reproduction may have been a lovely ideal, but in practice if floundered,
and
this was realized by the standardization bodies themselves..."

The consumer electronics industry rarely paid close attention however every
mastering professional I know of paid very close attention and there weren't
all that many of us! The standard IS the RCA test record. We measured it and
matched our cutting systems to it within a few tenths of a dB. There were
also only a handful of different devices employed.

If one's goal is accurately reproducing the recordings, this can be
accomplished simply by calibrating one's playback system to the RCA test
record. I think most people would be shocked by how accurately what was on
the master tapes along with any "creative" extra eq. or compression was
reproduced. I've always thought the endless papers about math formulas and
standards are utterly absurd because mastering has been practiced in a very
consistent manner throughout the industry.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com    http://www.thewombforums.com