From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:22 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] ...CAN'T SEE FOR THE FOG...

  I was recently making a CD recording for a private collector, using a JVC deck, which has worked
flawlessly many-a-time. Monitoring the tape playback, everything sounded just fine. In listening to
the CD result, there was distortion, and generally lousy sound. I thought it might have been a plug
making intermittent electrical contact, and checked this, along with every other connection. Round
two of recording produced the same results. Since we just had a dehumidifier decide to die on us, I
wondered if maybe the high humidity might be causing troubles...lately it has been raining a lot,
with terrible humidity. Suicide weather...you could go outside and take a deep breath, and drown
yourself. I put on our air conditioning for a while before attempting another session, and put in a
laser cleaner disc, just prior to recording. This seems to have taken care of the problem. The next
recording came out fine. Apparently, the laser was getting fogged from the humidity. Have any of you
experienced this kind of problem? I'd be interested to hear what your remedies might have been.  SS