Third try to send this. My apologies to anyone who is receiving it
more than once. When you copy '78s', they probably were not recorded
at 78 rpm. This is especially true of European disks where 80 is a
common speed. There is even variation in the speed at which LPs were
recorded and to make matters even more complicated, string sections
were often tuned sharp. An additional question is what was used as
standard pitch. It wasn't always 440. Adelina Patti had such a
prominence in London in her day that she was able to threaten to go
on strike if standard pitch was not lowered from 465!

I assume that you are referring to the arm bouncing because of warp
in the record. Sometimes placing a dime on the top of the cartridge
Will allow one to play the record. The characteristics of the arm and
of the cartridge are both factors in this working or not and how bad
the warp in the record is. I haven't done it but some used to remove
the warp in the record by putting it between two pieces of glass and
exposing it to sunlight. I would think that this should be done with
caution.

More thoughts on the previous subject. In the very early days, say
1900 to 1905, the number of disks that could be produced from a
stamper was very limited and the earliest produced better sound so
there is variation in what would appear to be identical records.
Later issues of early records, the Tamagnos would be a good example
as they were in great demand, usually have poor sound compared to
even somewhat worn first pressings. It's worth trying for early
pressings of these and similar early records though there isn't
complete consistency in this. The sound quality on test pressings
occasionally is very much better that the actual early released disks.

Of course none of this is indicated by dealers ratings though
occasionally a dealer will comment on a rare record sounding well.

Malcolm Smith