----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
>I must take exception here. Audacity is not freeware it is an Open Source
>Project:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
> The two are very different things.
> Of course Audacity  does not have the same features as Soundforge. It is
> however solid and reliable. It will accept VST plugins and can perform all
> the basic editing functions necessary for sound capture/audio transfer.
> Whilst I would not suggest using Audacity as a tool for audio restoration,
> it is a tool that I have recommended and used in training and working with
> museum professionals. Used in conjunction with a quality analogue playback
> and an audio interface with a good spec, there is no reason why Audacity
> should not perform as well as Soundforge, Adobe Audition, or any other
> commercial package.

Okeh...it IS freeware!! How do I know?! I have downloaded both the
current version and a beta-test newer version...for the grand total of $0.00
(US or Canadian...eh?!)

Of course, my "analog playback device" is a mid-seventies Viking "record
player," with its ceramic-cartridge output (1 volt +/-) redirected into the
"Line In" jack of my sound card...but I used a similar set-up to record any
number of 78's...in some cases for CD reissues done by Mr. Lennick!
To my (admittedly imperfect) ears, I find that the increased tracking
pressure
(around an ounce or so) makes up in quality for its less-than-perfect
fidelity
of the cartridge...! Only problem is that N8-3d needles are getting VERY
hard to find...?!

Steven C. Barr